Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Wye Island; Forget It All

Looking toward Wye Island across the cows.

It was one of those days where the weather just fed me energy.  I had an hour to spend at Wye Island before heading over to Centerville for my daughters' basketball game.  Being a little rushed I did not have a good game plan for what or where on the island I was going to venture.  I drove past the usual places we start off from and settled on School House Woods.  After futzing for a couple of minutes, I said, "fz#ck it all" and started running down the trail into the historic woods.  I don't know if historic is the right name, but I do know some of the trees in that small section of woods are some of the oldest largest trees on the Eastern Shore; somebody had a hand at preserving that piece of nature.

So, why the big deal to take off running?  I have run a few times for short distances since my latest ailment with my right shoulder.  But, this time I didn't stop.  I ran and ran.  The more I ran the better I felt.  Though I ran only 4ish miles, it was a big step; that being my longest run since April.  What's better is that I took my shirt off and ran through the fields like a deer.  The only other time I ran on those fields was with Michael Valliant when we first started running together.  At that time I was very new to trail running (in fact that was my very first off road run) and my ankles would twist very easily (twice on that first run with MV).  So, I was not keen on running off road on that first trail run.  This time, however, I relished every moment.

I spent a couple of moments with the 275 year old holly that stands proudly in a field next to the river.  My time with the tree was spent in deep thought and contemplation; absorbing the energy,  realizing the age, honoring the caregivers of the tree, and coming to grips with my own and the tree's mortality.  Hmm.
The bridge to Wye Island

For what ever reason that this island is preserved is a true blessing.  It is a beautiful place to be oneself and to re-energize.  I did not have chance to barefoot any of the island this trip, though I do plan to do so in the future, or at least with my fivefingers.  Our homeopath has recommended for me to go barefoot.  It may seem basic or too simplistic, but going barefoot on the ground and on wood and tile floors can actually help "ground" you in the truest sense of the word.  It really works.  Feelings of being present or in the moment are present when I go barefoot.


Me running along the Wye Island trail road soaking up the sun on a warm November afternoon.


I absorb things around me.  I also look for escapes.  Running is the freest form of escape for me, yet it allows me to absorb good energy around me.  I come from a run refreshed and able to live life more full.  Running on Wye Island this week reminded me of why running is still my favorite discipline.  Live, love, and serve...
“Our love is all of God’s money” Jeff Tweedy, Wilco




No comments: