Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Washing Machine

Tuckahoe Creek in the fading sunlight.

How many times have we sprinted up the hill on Tuckahoe Valley Trail where the bricks are loose? It is the only hill with bricks. Valliant and I used to simultaneously break into a sprint as we’d race each other up that hill. Then, along the next ridge we pass an old red combine in the trees on the left and various abandoned appliances on the right; one of which is a white washing machine with bullet holes in it.


I took sharp notice of this appliance today, as I did many things during a second expedition to the trails in as many days. Oddly, I was inspired to park at Adkins Arboretum and pay $3 just to start my hike/run there. It was nice to use the restroom and to talk to the nice ladies there. It really is a wonderful place. As I wove through the Arboretum’s trails I connected to the regular trail route and soon found myself at the big bridge crossing the Tuckahoe. Continuing on the regular route, and after sprinting up the “brick hill” laughing at past times with Valliant there, I began walking the ridge and came upon the washing machine. That thing hasn’t moved in all the time I’ve been there. I saw so many things along the trail today that I never noticed while running: a monument, fairy houses, and signage.


I continued on, down and up the ravines, and a sharp right at the junction of Turkey Hill and Creekside Cliff Trails. It took me 40 minutes of walking and running to reach the same intersection after completing Creekside. Trail conditions have never been more perfect: dry, soft dirt and sand, colors galore, perfect temperature, and zero bugs. It was 4pm and I was due at home soon. I started down Turkey Hill toward the creek crossing, but decided better, knowing how much time I could waste with a river crossing and the following trail. As I turned around to head back to Tuckahoe Valley Trail a biker whirled by my sights.


Seth, the Tuckahoe Ninja Roller, creating a new jump from the Tuckahoe Valley washing machine.


I backtracked along the trail and I, eventually, came upon Seth who had gotten off his bike to create a deathtrap-stunt sculpture with none other than our bullet-hole-ridden, white washing machine. He said Thursday he would complete the project and risk life and limb on the washing machine and wooden branch jump. If you look at Tuckahoe Ninja Roll, you’ll see another sculpture jump he created in the gulley preceding the Turkey Hill junction. Seth seemed determined and focused, though personable. After looking at his video, however, I question his engineering techniques.

My Fivefingers and Rocky Racoon's five fingers in the sand on the banks of Tuckahoe Creek.

So, what are the chances that I was on the trail, passing by the washing machine twice in one day, on the day that it is morphed into a new life? Go figure. Not much has made sense to me lately, including my shoulder. Dr. Murthi thinks I have multiple nerves disturbed in my shoulder with multiple muscles compromised. He wants me to immediately start Physical Therapy, get more tests, taper off the medications, get the inflammation down, and see him in 4 weeks. He said I was an “odd bird” but assured me he would not let this get out of hand. Luckily, from the time I left Tuckahoe last night through now, I have felt the first minute increment of improvement. Let’s hope it keeps going in that direction. I plan on hitting more trails in the near future. Work for me is limited to when I have help at this point. It is amazing how much we rely on our dominant hand. I missed all my buddies today on the trail and hope I can swindle some of you to join me in the near future for a walk/run. live, love, and serve ~ Michael

2 comments:

Stephen G. Bardsley said...

MK, there used to be an old tonka truck up on that same ridge. I often wondered about the child that used to play with it, and how it ended up out there with the old washing machine. Oh crap, Im starting to think like Valliant! kidding of course, thats not a bad thing! later, Bards

Michael Valliant said...

Okay, this is going to take more than one comment and more than one read. First, Wood Frog, Seth is an old buddy of mine. He was the sous-chef at one of the restaurants I worked at and we have worked shoulder to shoulder on the line in 100 degree heat. As solid and cool a dude as there is. I've seen him and another friend mountain biking out there frequently. Too funny for you to run into him.

Second, I instinctively run when I hit those bricks, regardless of pace or present company, all because of our many races up the bricks.

Your injury stuff just plain f-ing sucks. But if it has slowed you down and made you take stock and look around and notice things you haven't seen, well then that's what it's for.

Bardsley - haha!

An excellent post, as always. And I dig the new format! --Mike V.