Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Phin at Tuckahoe

Tuckahoe refreshed our legs as Phin and I had a go of it for an hour this afternoon. We clamored out of Julius and set off down Tuckahoe Valley Trail at a brisk walk. The colors are fabulous with lots of green left, meaning there are more colors to come. The surface was crunchy which made every sound in the forest amplified. This drove Phin crazy; not a squirrel in the forest could move without Phin noticing. It was beautiful. Walking, rather than running, the trail is a whole different experience. I look forward to walking (and running) more of it in the future.

We made it almost to the bridge when I realized that we did not have time to make the full loop of Pee Wee’s trail and make it to Oaklands for dinner with my sister, mother, and daughters. So, we did a 180 and ran most of the way back to the car. Those who know me know we are a drug/medication free family at least that is what we strive for. However, with this latest injury I have been on Prednisone for 2 weeks plus a few pain killers, mostly Aleve and Ibuprofen. As I was running up the trail the drugs in my body came to mind and I backed off the intensity. Complicating things with a heart attack would not be cool.

Tomorrow I see a surgeon concerning my latest ailment which is the pain and major weakness in my right shoulder. The latest diagnosis is that the suprascapular nerve is entrapped in the suprascapular notch by a ligament(s). Tomorrow will mark three weeks that I have been in pain and not able to use my arm fully. We are hoping for the best news we can from Dr. Anand Murthi, chief of Sports Medicine at Union Memorial Hospital in Baltimore. Dr. Murthi is the surgeon who performed the successful surgery on my left shoulder 14 months ago.

It seems I am a rare bird for having this type of problem in the first place. I am exceptionally rare to have this occur in both shoulders. Not sure I’m excited about that claim to fame. I hope to have a good report for you soon. Remember to live, love, and serve ~ Michael

No comments: