Thursday, April 17, 2008

Twin Tuckahoes



Landy Cook with Adkins Arboretum 5K runners Olivia and Michael Keene. Please take special notice of the newly presented RUR mug. Thank you, Landy, and Rise Up Runners. Awesome!


I had the pleasure of getting two runs in this week on the Tuckahoe trails. The first was the Adkins Arboretum 5K trail race in which my daughter, 40 other runners, and I competed. The second jaunt at Tuckahoe was a solo 10-mile run today under clear-blue 70 degree skies.


I try not to take for granted that my younger daughter, Olivia, is often willing to join me in any 5K race that comes along. Saturday, under 65-degree, partly sunny skies Olivia raced her first trail race. The conditions were perfect as she tore up the course, winning her age group, as well as, several higher age groups. I managed to finish a few minutes before her. The course was short, by how much I don't know; maybe as much as 4 tenths of a mile. My time was 18:36, finishing 4th overall. After I caught my breath, I turned to head back down the trail to meet Olivia, but she was already coming out of the woods and heading to the finish. She was so excited to have finished in 21 minutes; 3 minutes better than her personal best for a 5K. I didn't have the heart to tell her the course was short at that moment. It was later in the day that I gently broke the news to her.


We spent the rest of the day doing lacrosse things: Olivia taught at the Starter (5 and 6 year olds) Program for Talbot Lacrosse; Eleanora refereed for the U9's and U11's for TLA; then our whole family went to watch my neice, Ashby Kaestner, play for Georgetown University vs Notre Dame. It was an action-packed day. The closing moment of the day involved a conversation with Olivia about school work, competition (lacrosse), and constructive criticism. You would think for a 12 year old this would be a difficult concept to understand. It is definitely difficult for anyone of any age to implement properly, including me. I'm a "dad" and after 15 years of being a father, I am still learning how to do it well. I have much to offer to my daughters' lives, and it is often difficult to relay; even more difficult to just listen. Well, Olivia understood the concepts and then she came up with some ground rules that both she and I will follow. It was a proud moment for me, and a nice shift within our father/daughter relationship.


My run today at Tuckahoe was fast (for me) and, though solo, not lonely, but far. I had a 2 and a half hour window to run the Tuckahoe 10 Mile Challenge course. Conditions could not have been more perfect. I wore nothing but Ibex wool clothing; the Balance Runner Short (which I ripped on thorns) and my green Echo T. Bright sunshine shot down through the windless trees illuminating a plithora of spring bouquets on the forest floor. Squirrels, birds, deer, and a fox joined my run. So did an older gentleman in a golf cart. I had to pass him by going into the briers to get around the cart. His wheels were straddling the single-track trail. My guess is that he came from the Arboretum.

Me befoe today's 10-mile effort at Tuckahoe State Park.


Tuckahoe is sacred ground. Michael "Tucks" Valliant introduced me to trail running on the Tuckahoe Valley trail nearly 2 years ago now. It was from those early runs with Mike that built my love for trailrunning, and there is never a time on those trails that my gratitude to Mike is not felt. Back then, during our first creek crossing (and yes we used the log, Landy) we had to take our shoes off, and then ended up walking through briers. We sat on a log on Little Florida Trail wiping our feet, putting our shoes on, and catching our breaths. A true appreciation for nature, our sport, and a friendship was granted.


So, today was a different run because there was little time to allow the senses to bask while running a fast pace. I felt the presence of the new group of friends and runners (The Rise Up Runners http://riseuprunners.blogspot.com/ and others) on the trail. I texted Mike at work before I started and would report to him after the run, knowing he would, in turn, relay my good day to the rest of the gang. It was a good feeling of support and camaraderie. I evidentally, broke the record time by logging a 1:26:36 from trailhead to end of the bridge at the dam. I will relish having the fastest time until someone else truly gives it a go; and I know it won't last long.


But, that's just the thing...what is the point in racing through those beautiful woods, missing all the little things a slower pace would allow? I ask myself that question. Was today's effort a foolish one? How many squirrels, birds, deer, foxes, and golfcarts did I not see?

4 comments:

Michael Valliant said...

I always think there are two explorations going on during a trail run, or any run--the one with you in the outside world, and the one with you inside yourself. Pushing the pace isn't necessarily taking for granted, but seeing what you can do. You were on it today, and set a good mark for others to shoot for. Having said that, there will be plenty of savor the trail runs to come. Congrats, Wood Frog, on a great run(s) and making the time for yourself. Congrats to Olivia, too!

Joel Shilliday said...

Pushing yourself solo is an important exploration in itself.
- good stuff

Rise Up Runners said...

Wish I could have made it out there with you. Perhaps another Thursday, would be fun trying to see which way is faster across the creek log vs. wading.

To your questions at the end, there are days to go slow and other days to go fast. Since you had a time crunch, you probably wouldn't have even gone out there at all if your plan was to go slow.

--Landy

Stephen G. Bardsley said...

Mike, Just got home from Joshuas first little league game. great to see in active influence that we have on out kids. they will always remember these times! As far as speed at Tuckahoe, my gauge is how many times I face-plant on a root. If I dont fall for the whole loop, I was going to slow. :-) Hope to run with you soon! later, Bardsley