Sunday, April 6, 2008

Flourescent Orange





My daughters, friends, and I came upon this plaque near the start of the Crawford Path in the White Mountains of New Hampshire last August. I'm such a sucker for history, it gave me chills knowing we were going to trek the oldest mountain trail in America.


Welcome to the introduction of my first blog called Runners On Trails. This name came to me after running the trails of Tuckahoe State Park with my running partner Tuckerman, aka Tucks. One cold winter morning in early 2007 we ventured for a predawn run. Upon arriving at the trailhead, we found several pick-up trucks with gun racks. I told Tucks that I was not going into the woods without some flourescent orange on my head and body, but we had none. We backtracked to the local outdoor/gas station/quick-mart place where we were then informed that it was "Youth Hunting Day". Luckily, for about $12 we garbed ourselves in orange hunting hats and vests. The run could commence.

We nervously came upon several pairs of father and sons/daughters sporting shotguns on our run through the woods; we were doing a 10 miler. We, also, were bantered by many loud gunshots through the morning. So, despite having the orange wear over our running clothes, I was a nervous wreck; we needed to protect ourselves more. I'm not against hunting, in fact, I feel it is necessary. But, accidents happen and I wanted more awareness to the hunters that we were in the woods.

Upon our return to the "mothership", my car Julius, we noticed that many more hunters had entered the woods after our start. That gave me the idea of making flags, signs, or bumper stickers that said, "Runners On Trails" that could be displayed on or around our car that would alert others that we were sharing the trails, too. This will give the hunters an added reason to be careful. Like "Life is Good" maybe my "Runners on Trails" will catch on to the world.

I plan on presenting to you kind readers stories and thoughts about adventuring; mostly running, hiking, and racing. I am presently training for my first triathlon this spring; the 1/2 Ironman called the Eagleman held in Cambridge, Maryland. There may also be a few stories about sailing as well.

All is well on the trails ~ Michael

7 comments:

Michael Valliant said...

A wonderful start, sir. Well said, I remember the day vividly and the less than thrilled looks from some of the hunters. "Mixed use" trails that include running, hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding, and hunters has always been a bizarre concept to me. I will check the blog often, welcome to the virtual world!

Stephen G. Bardsley said...

Mike,I have done hundreds of training miles at Tuckahoe, I have also hunted deer and turkey there. when i am hunting, i get pissed if non hunters come through the woods, knowing the seasons are in. then i am running, i say, dont hunt public land if you have a problem with "mixed" use of the park. I have also been miles from the car on a training run, when i wished someone would shoot me! :-) Good start on the blog, later, Bardsley

Sail Tramp said...

Yes! Let's hear stories about sailing :)

Rise Up Runners said...

I enjoyed this story. It is a nice start to your blog. Last time I was at Tuckahoe, we heard a lot of shots in the distance that clearly were not being fired inside the park. I have no idea what was being shot at, and they were not particularly close, but it did make me run a little bit faster.

I'm not sure I am ready for a Tuckahoe run "in season", but when I am, I would like to run in a large group, preferably somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Landy

Runners on Trails said...

Much like the philosophy of hiking in bear territory or swimming in shark infested waters with friends; you only have to out run/swim your friends.
I can't wait to meet Landy and the other RUR's. I feel like I know you already.

Michael Valliant said...

I gotta find some slower friends...

Celia B. said...

MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE!!!! THAT'S A $300 SKIIIIIIIIII!!! So now you are shredding up the running trails AND starting a blog. TOO COOL!! I will check with you often here cause you aint never gonna see my ayiss shreddin up no dingdang running trail. :)