Friday, June 6, 2014

Year 50


Firstly, my apologies to you and myself for not having had a new post in 20 months. MY BAD!

Yes, its' been coming for a long time, my 50th year.  Turns out that there were many significant events in history that occurred since I was conceived: President Kennedy was shot, the Beatles appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show, Innsbruck Olympics, Vietnam, race riots, and Bewitched, to name a few.  So why not make my own mark in my own life's story?  The answer has been brewing for 7 years, maybe much longer.  On July 27, 2014, four day's before my 50th birthday I will compete in my first Ironman at Lake Placid. 

Mik and Joey with me at our volunteer post at Ironman Lake Placid last July.

Little do we realize when a "seed" is planted.  For me this "seed" was planted in 1980 when I was 15.  I was there for the first Oxford Triathlon watching athletes exit the water on the Bellevue shore.  I was SHOCKED and in AWE.  Never in my wildest dreams did I think I could possibly do such a thing, much less WANT to do such a thing.  But, here I am on the cusp of my 6th Eagleman 70.3 and less than 2 months from my first full Ironman.  I get teary-eyed just typing this; I am blessed and so very thankful for these opportunities.

The 2013 spring racing season was awesome; I had many PR's in races which culminated in a very good Eagleman, besting my previous best time by nearly half an hour.  But, I also finished with a case of Plantar Fascitis in my left foot.  I struggled with pain through the summer, and after an August eight-mile run, I decided I needed to stop running to try and heal myself.  I didn't run for 2 months, but kept swimming and biking heavily.  The PF did not get any better, worse if anything. 

I had already plopped down an ungodly amount of money on IMLP registration, but more than that I wanted to be whole again, race again, be competitive again, and maybe find something out about myself.  In October, right after the sailing season, I hired a Triathlon coach, Tracy MacCherola; best thing I've done in a long time.


I've known Tracy for 7ish years through Cambridge Multisport (CMS) as a tough competitor, coach, and a supporter of her CMS teammates.  She has brought me a long way, helping me shape some goals for triathlon and life.  I am a stronger athlete because of the work I've done over the past 9 months under Tracy's guidance.  But, she's not alone.  It takes a village to create a happy person/athlete/triathlete.  I am that person (with plenty of room for more growth) because of the help and support of several key people in my life, the most important being my wife, Carita.

No comments: