Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Surgery on September 4th

Life doesn't always agree with the plans we make for ourselves, like in this photo of our capsize in the Chester River in July. Our foresheet tender, Carl (in blue), Boardman Bucky, and I are making the best of the circumstances given to us that day. Here, we have removed the sails, masts, boards, spreets, and debris from the capsized log canoe, Island Lark. We are about ready to start bailing. Photo by Tim Schreitmueller

Yesterday marked five months since I injured my left shoulder while swimming which resulted in Suprascapular Nerve Palsy. For five months I have not had the ability to rotate my left arm out from my center while keeping the elbow at my side. More than that, the weakness in the arm makes it hard to do simple things like comb my hair or raise a cup to drink. There is no strength in outward rotations. To most, the compromise is not noticeable. Upon closer look there are two "dents" on my left shoulder blade marking where severe athrophy has occurred to the infra and suprastinatus muscles. Despite this condition certain movements involved in activities like swimming, throwing the front board on Lark, and skippering Seabiscuit, can be accomplished without much notice of disfunction.
Treatment for this rare condition is to first wait and see if the nerve comes back on its own. We've waited....for five months. Next is to have a look surgically. If a muscle is not signaled within a year, it is unlikely that it will ever return to function. I am scheduled for surgery at University of Maryland Medical Center/Orthopedics at Kernan in Baltimore on this Friday, the day after tomorrow. I’ve only known of the surgery date for a little over 48 hours. The plan is to go into my left shoulder orthoscopically, have a look, decompress the Suprascapular nerve, and possibly repair a rotator cuff tear and remove some arthritis. The recovery time increases with each additional challenge the surgeon encounters in my shoulder. Let’s hope that only the decompression is needed. If successful, I should immediately notice improvement of function. Over an additional period of time, the muscle strength should come back, as well,...I pray.

In the short term, I am most concerned with how life will be post surgery: will I have improved movement and control? Will I be in pain? How long until I will be able to return to the activities that I love? How will this impact my family? My life?

I am not going the route of over-thinking what “might” happen. I’ve made the decision. Dr. Murthi has a great reputation as one of the best in his field. It will surely be different to be restricted as to what I can do in the days, maybe weeks, following this surgery.

I sailed/raced tonight. I biked yesterday with Jon Rice. I ran on trails with friends on Sunday (got poison ivy). I swam yesterday, too. When will I be able to return to these activities? The door will open up to different choices in the near future. Bring it on. In the meantime, everyone, continue to love, swim, ride, run, and appreciate life. I plan on doing a lot of appreciating in the upcoming weeks.

1 comment:

christine said...

Good luck uncle Mikey! you are in our thoughts and prayers for tomorrow and for a quick recovery! We love you! The Parish Gang!