Wednesday, March 11, 2009

March Madness

Hanging out my window and looking over Wittman Park on the afternoon of March 2nd; madness!

March has been crazy as a March Hare. Between the snow storm of the first and second and the heat wave over the next weekend, it’s been great. It’s a wonderful thing to have activities to enjoy no matter the weather. It’s even more wonderful to have folks who share the same desires.
Joel, me, Mike, and Lori hanging out in Idlewild Park. Shaun and Sampson are taking the photo.

I drove Julius to Easton during the snow storm Monday morning to run with friends Lori, Michael, Shaun, Joel, and Joel’s dog Sampson. It was uncomfortably cold but made better by the company. Five days later I was hopping on the bike before dawn on Saturday morning to trek to swim practice. Watching the sun rise over Miles River was beautiful. When I came out of the Y after practice the warmth hit me, 70 degrees. On the way home I experienced two flat tires; a conspiracy; I'll explain:

After practice I hopped on the bike, grabbed a bagel at the B. Bakery, then headed home. By the time I got to Carrol’s Market I had my first flat on the back wheel. By the grace of God, the second flat didn’t set in until Pot Pie Road, though I could hear the debris stuck in the tire hitting the frame for the prior 3 miles. I learned a few weeks ago that if there is debris in the tire to leave it and try to get as far as you can. Last time I heard something in the tire, I stopped, found the staple stuck in the tire, and pulled it out. Then the tire deflated, duh, I pulled the plug.

I know this is a long story, but there is reasoning behind it. Upon inspection of the first flat while sitting in the warm sunshine at a picnic table at Carrol’s Market, I found the source of the flat. It was a metal sliver stuck in the tire. This sliver, upon closer examination, could only come from one source, an over pumped longboard. It seems there is a major defect in the ball bearings of the wheels on these boards. When the boards are over pumped slivers of metal peel off the bearings and are ejected from the bearing guides like BBOS and left on the shoulders of our “bike” ways in the county. It is a shame.

Then upon inspection of the second flat, I found a carbon fiber sliver. Yes, again the source came from these reckless “long boarders” who are taking over our natural vistas, shoulders, by-ways, pools, and blog sites. It seems, that when one of these, so called athletes, “carves a noogy”, they scrape a portion of the carbon fiber strength from their precious boards. Carbon fiber splinters are worse than wood splinters because of their unprecedented strength. The fiber in my new tire would have sunk a Coast Guard rigid inflatable. Shocking, I’d say!

So, what are we to do? I simply cannot put into words my disappointment. I’m afraid to go on the roads and train. I’m going crazy with worry. Dan and I only have 97 days left to train for Eagleman. What will happen?

My initial thought would be to do a post to the RUR website, but LOW AND BEHOLD, it seems the blog site has been taken over with the longboard crap. I was disgusted. Thank goodness I can voice my displeasure here, at least.

So, beware on the roads, my friends, you have been warned. The longboarders don’t seem to have an ounce of decency when it comes to littering our byways with splinters, slivers, shards, and chads. Who knows how this will affect our running shoes (I’d double sock it, if I were you). Tuckahoe seems to be the only safe place to bike and run in the tri-county area; at least for now, until the LB’s go Hummer on us.

If you are confused, I don’t blame you. There is a contingent of our running group that is also Long Distance Pumping (LDP) on long board skate boards. We like to give them hell.

Phinn loving the snow!

My buddy Phinn and I have been on several runs now, and the future looks bright for our young lab. He will enjoy many miles of unleashed glee when running with me; as long as he behaves.

Friday we’re heading to the Bahamas where “training-wise” in intend to up my weekly running mileage by 400 percent. I also hope to get several open-water swims in the ocean. See you in the spring…love, swim, ride, and run…Michael

2 comments:

Stephen G. Bardsley said...

Mike, I cant believe the long boarders have invaded Kent Island! I guess i should worry about my bike tires now on the Cross Island Trail, as I get ready for another Tour de Shore, or the canal ride. Mike V. is actually emailing me for scouting reports of the Cross Island Trail south. If I had read this first, I would have tole him the pavement was really tore up, with lots of car traffic.If we cant beat them, should we join them???!!!! later, Bards aka the stevensville coorespondent

Runners on Trails said...

You're a good man Bards. yes, we have to be careful with this radical 4-wheeled underground group amongst us. Its hard to know who to trust these days. Haha. I definitely want to do some Shore touring this summer, so count me in for one of the biking adventures. My wish is to do a 2 day bike to the beach, swim, camp, return. we can probably get a few of us to do that, maybe a sag vehicle too. Keep it up ~ M