Sunday, December 14, 2008

Tuckahoe Biathlon

Reilly, Mike B, Dan, Lori, Cole, James, and Wood Frog after our run, bike, and plunge at Tuckahoe State Park on Sunday.

Among the Rise Up Runner Sunday Tuckahoe crew were a couple of teenage boys on mountain bikes. Cole and Reilly got introduced to the 10 mile loop and the log crossing leading up to Little Florida Trail. RUR members included Michael B, Dan, James, Lori, and Wood Frog. Despite the intense heavy rainfall a few days ago, the trails were dry with easy footing.

There were two main features of today’s run. The first was when Cole got a flat tire 5 miles into the trail. The boys were cycling ahead of us runners for the most part, but we’d occasionally catch up to them on hills and when they were simply waiting for us. On the outer reach of the Tuckahoe Valley trail we passed the cyclists and never saw them again. The four of us (Lori hiked the 5 mile loop; resting her nearly heeled side injury) waited at the intersection of Creek side Cliff, Turkey Hill, and Tuckahoe Valley trails, but the boys never posted.

A plan was made to split up, having Mike and Dan go Creek side and WF and James go Tuckahoe Valley. We found the boys a little more than a mile up Tuckahoe Valley finishing up a tire repair. A good Samaritan aided them who had a spare tube and inflator. The boys had struggled with a repair by stuffing leaves and moss into the tire; very resourceful. Luckily, the other rider came along to help.
New Tuckahoe 10 Milers Reilly and Cole.

Now, the gang was looking at a 13ish mile run if we continued on the planned course, which we did. Everyone crossed on the log. I wish I had a camera of Dan shimmying across the log on his crotch (we heckled him). Cole and Rielly carried their bikes across the log without a problem.

The second feature of the run was the speed. My speed record is toast. I truly missed Valliant’s presence this morning on our outset. Mike generally sets an easy pace in the beginning, but these guys, today, went out with gusto. I noticed no one carried any water or fuel. I had a mini Clif and a bottle of water/Gatorade mixture. I don’t mind sharing my stuff, but I didn’t have a lot to share today. With the added mileage, I was worried about the other guys getting leg cramps or fuel problems. The group faired better than I thought, even though Dan had some pretty good cramps with 1.5 miles to go.

I was a spent-puppy trying to keep pace with these guys. There was no rest for the weary. When we all got back to the finishing bridge, Lori was waiting for us. Everyone did their own version of cleanup and cooling down in and around the dam. Mike waded into the water to his naval. Wood Frog stayed on top of the dam and cooled his knees and washed his shoes and socks in the 3 inches of flowing water. Our cycling guests brought their bikes out onto the dam and washed them off, and Woody jumped in the water completely; a polar bear plunge.
James after his polar bear plunge into Tuckahoe Lake. Notice the beads of water still on his skin; brrrrr.

It was a beautiful day there. I don’t think I’ve ever run there this time of year at that time of day. With the shadows so long and the sun dim it seemed like it was 4 in the afternoon the entire time we were there. Strange.

I will be retiring my Salamon trail shoes after today. These friends have carried me through a year and a half of adventures: the White Mountains, Vermont, Tuckahoe, and other adventures. They have served me well.

Saturday, Landy, the team, and I venture to Baltimore County for the Maryland Masters Swim meet #3. We all should swim in 5 events (3 individuals, and 2 relays). It will be a blast.

I hope all are warming up in the Christmas spirit. Love, swim, bike, and run.

1 comment:

Michael Valliant said...

Fantastic stuff, Frog! I always like the expression you use, "Pay it Forward," about bringing new folks out to Tuckahoe. For mountain biking, it's really the ONLY decent place on the Shore, and how I found out about Tuckahoe in the first place, years before I ever ran back there.

Extra miles are fun thing as long as you're ready for them--I won't even give you pansies grief for logging it...especially since two of you get easily as wet as you would have anyway! :)

Sorry to have missed the shenanigans and the good time.