Thursday, August 28, 2008

Hiking, running, boat builders, and letting go

The Keene and Meyerfoff gang atop Mt. Washington on August 11th.



Eight of us conquered Mt. Washington in variable weather of sun and rain over the weekend of August 9th and 10th. My two daughters, my wife, and our four friends hiked Tuckerman Ravine Trail to Lakes of the Clouds Hut in the White Mountains. The next day we summitted Mt. Washington in the driving rain and descended via the Lion Head trail and Tuckerman.


We had oodles of GORP, many breaks (or photo opps, as we called them), and a ton of laughs along the way. All did extremely well on the Tuckerman trail, the most traversed trail to the summit, and one of the most challenging. In bunk room 3 the 8 of us did impersonations from movies during the rain and thunderstorms Sunday night.


We found the "CROO" of Lakes Hut to be in rare form complete with a Star Wars themed skit for us after breakfast. Lets just say that Princess Leigha needed a shave, and she/he was a little too fond of young Luke's light saber. The skit taught us all to fold our blankets, fluff our pillows, pick up our trash, and, of course, tip the CROO.

My girls ahead of me on the Lion Head Trail descent from Mt. Washinton in the rain.


My two daughters and I were on our own for the descent. It was 3 and a half hours of rain and pure joy as we scibbled down the wet trails. I'm convinced that either of them could run a guiding service on their own in the White Mountains. They are quite accomplished hikers.





Later that evening my family and I found Karl Meltzer's RV at a trail head in Maine about an hour from the Whites. I ran up trail, found Karl and his friend, Matt Hart, and ran the last mile of his day with him. Karl is an ultra runner who is attempting to break the Appalachian Trail speed record of 47 days. I met up with him on his 7th day of his quest. It was quite something to meet him. I have an entry on my encounter with him on the RUR blog here: http://riseuprunners.blogspot.com/2008/08/wheres-karl.html .

Karl Meltzer and I after coming off the trail; he 30 plus miles, me only one mile.


The first week we were home from the North, sad news came when word that boatbuilder Maynard Lowery was killed in an automobile accident. I've since been to his funeral and have seen or talked to all of my customers who own his boats. My heart is full of joy with hearing from these people who knew Maynard through his boats. If you had a boat build by Maynard, you came to love the man. He will be missed immensely, but his life will live on in the boats he created. Here's a piece I did on his last boat: http://runnersontrails.blogspot.com/2008/05/marathon-maynard.html


Moondance and Spray in all their glory this summer on the Chester River.


Lastly, I must say goodbye to a boat. We've found a wonderful new buyer for our family boat, Moondance. Moondance first came into my life when my father bought her in 1979 (I was 14). I was standing on the dock at Rumbley, Maryland when I first saw "My Desire" drift up to the wharf with my father at the helm. She spent several years with us until my father sold her in the mid 80's. I later re-purchased her in 1995, restored her and relaunched in 1998, and raised my girls aboard during our various adventures around the Bay. I received an email from my daughter's best friend yesterday. It reads like this:



HOW DARITH THOU SELL THY MOONDANCE
this means no more:
flank steak on Moondance
watching the fireworks on Moondance
first jump of the year into the Bay
no fun on Moondance
I am Excrushatingly disapointed in you Smichael!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
u cut me deep you cut me real deep
Masssive amounts of ears flat I GROWL in your general dirrection
MADLY,
oft
): GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I need to go cry all by my self in my room before I start foaming at the mouth



Carita and I renamed her Moondance after our Van Morrison wedding first dance song. She'll be missed and it's a bit hard to let go.

No comments: